From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Oct 12 2005 - 17:54:13 CDT

Hi,
  If these molecules share significant structure, you could probably
use RMS fitting to align them reasonably closely. Have you tried doing
this yet? It's described in the VMD tutorials on the web site if you
need examples. If that isn't possible, you could do some rough alignments
by using this command to get the COM for a selection:
  set sel [atomselect top all]
  set com [measure center $sel weight [$sel get mass]]

>From there you could use this to move it's COM to the origin:
  $sel moveby [vecscale -1.0 $com]

Once you've got the COM's roughly aligned, you can force VMD
to recalculate the view with the new coordinates:
  display resetview
  display update ui

>From there, you should be in a better position if it has to be
done by hand and can't be done with RMS fitting for some reason.