From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 07 2005 - 15:47:10 CDT

Hi,
  If you started VMD with "vmd -dispdev cave", you should only see
the VMD graphics window, there won't be any user interface windows.
If you want the user interface windows, you'll want to use:
  vmd -dispdev caveforms

In order to display the user interface windows somewhere, you'll normally
do this before you run VMD in CAVE mode:
  setenv DISPLAY someothermachine:0.0

On the console of "someothermachine", you'll have to do xhost +cavemachine
where "cavemachine" is the one driving the 6 CAVE displays. From there,
if all is well, you'll get all of the VMD user interface windows on
"someothermachine", and you'll get the graphics displayed on your 6 CAVE
walls driven by "cavemachine".

In order to verify that you've got all of this running correctly, send
me the output that VMD prints in your VMD text console when it starts up.
This should help me verify that you're starting VMD with the correct
options, and that it's initializing your CAVE correctly.