From: Jacinto S. (galathil_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 13:32:50 CDT

On Fri Mar 18 2005 - 12:05:51 CST, John Stone wrote:
> Guys,
> I didn't get a chance to sort all of this out for you before leaving for
> vacation, but I'm posting a raw copy of the Python library used to compile
> VMD on the web site so you guys can install it on your machine and set
> the PYTHONHOME variable to make VMD use it. It should cure your problems,
> it worked fine when I tested it on my own machines.
> If this doesn't solve your problems, I'll help you when I return on March 28.
>
> I've posted the binary Python libraries and sample install instructions here:
> http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pythonlib/

Hello,

I'm using Mac OS X 10.4.1 and I seem to be running across the same
trouble as some others have experienced with VMD 1.8.3. I've tried
running with the Python libraries that came default with the OS as
well as those I installed using fink. Finally, I downloaded the
binary libraries that are provided (I'm using a case-insensitive HFS+
file system so I had to work around there being a 'Python' directory
and a 'python' binary in the same directory) for OS X but met up with
the same problem. I tried setting the $PYTHONHOME and $PYTHONPATH
environment variables both in ~/.vmdrc and at the text input to no
avail. For example, when I do:

vmd > set env(PYTHONPATH) /tmp/py/lib_MACOSX-numpy
vmd > set env(PYTHONHOME) /tmp/py/lib_MACOSX-numpy
vmd > gopython

I get:

Info) Starting Python...
Numeric Python module _numpy not found; vmdnumpy module not available.
ImportError: Failure linking new module
Info) Text interpreter now Python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/tmp/py/lib_MACOSX-numpy/lib/python2.2/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 35, in ?
    import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured for Tk
ImportError: No module named _tkinter

Other than this issue with Python, the application seems to work fine.
Forgive me if this has been solved already but I only found two
relevant threads in the archives each dating about five months ago.

Regards,

Jacinto Shy