From: Justin Gullingsrud (justinrocks_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 18:56:52 CDT

catdcd 2.x was extremely permissive: it counted frames by looking at
just the dcd header. catdcd3.x, when counting frames, is basically
just checking that the file size is correct; it doesn't actually read
any data. What happens when you use catdcd and actually write to an
output file?

Justin

On 8/19/05, Brian Bennion <brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov> wrote:

> Hi John and others,
>
> I have a 3.1GB file generated by namd on a linux cluster Xeon cpus.
> Catdcd reads through it and returns the proper number of frames.
>
> catdcd -num file.dcd
> gives 2500 frames
>

> However, I tried to load it into vmd and it files before the first frame
> with error -4.
>
> Looking at the source code for readdcd.h -4 means a bad read
> Diving deeper it seems it could fail with this error at a large number of
> points during a dcd read so I don't know where the error is actually
> caught.
>
> Is catdcd more tolerant of larger/corupted files than the vmd plugins?
>
> Brian

> Brian Bennion, Ph.D.
> Bioscience Directorate
> Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
> P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov
> 7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722
> Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605

The spirit of Plato dies hard.  We have been unable to escape the
philosophical tradition that what we can see and measure in the world
is merely the superficial and imperfect representation of an
underlying reality.
                -- S.J. Gould, "The Mismeasure of Man"