From: Brian Bennion (brian_at_youkai.llnl.gov)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 11:53:55 CDT

Hi John and others,

I have a 3.1GB file generated by namd on a linux cluster Xeon cpus.
Catdcd reads through it and returns the proper number of frames.

catdcd -num file.dcd
gives 2500 frames

However, I tried to load it into vmd and it files before the first frame
with error -4.

Looking at the source code for readdcd.h -4 means a bad read
Diving deeper it seems it could fail with this error at a large number of
points during a dcd read so I don't know where the error is actually
caught.

Is catdcd more tolerant of larger/corupted files than the vmd plugins?

Brian

  Brian Bennion, Ph.D.
  Bioscience Directorate
  Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
  P.O. Box 808, L-448 bennion1_at_llnl.gov
  7000 East Avenue phone: (925) 422-5722
  Livermore, CA 94550 fax: (925) 424-6605