From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 11:14:38 CDT

Hi,
  The PDB and PSF file formats were made by different people and do not
have the same limits on atom counts. (fun isn't it)
There's no standard way of having more than 99,999 atoms in a PDB file,
any software that supports such files is doing you a favor, since these
files technically violate the PDB specification. That said, most of the
popular MD packages will accept such files by virtue of ignoring the atom
index field completely, thus, it probably won't even matter.