From: Axel Kohlmeyer (axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de)
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 08:37:37 CST

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, dieter blaas wrote:

dieter,

DB> I have been trying hard to render the surface of a virus-receptor
DB> complex (1v9u.pdb) but always get the message "ERROR) Failed to
DB> create Surf atom radii input file". Since I believed that this is related to

this message more likely indicates, that you have not set the
VMDTMPDIR environment variable or it points to a non-writable
or non-existing directory. the fact, that it also happens with
a smaller file confirms that.

please check the VMD installation instructions.
for more specific suggestions, we'd need to
know which platform/OS you are using (and which VMD version).

regards,
        axel.

DB> the large coordinate file I also tried to render a surface of a small
DB> molecule. However, in all cases I receive the same message. What is
DB> the reason?
DB> Thanx for help, Dieter

Dr. Axel Kohlmeyer   e-mail: axel.kohlmeyer_at_theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Chemie          Phone: ++49 (0)234/32-26673
Ruhr-Universitaet Bochum - NC 03/53         Fax:   ++49 (0)234/32-14045
D-44780 Bochum  http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/