From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 29 2004 - 19:08:40 CDT

Hi,
  In order to use the "snapshot" display device, you _must_ have
an active OpenGL context. If you attempt to use snapshot without
an OpenGL context, you'll get zero-length images as you've discovered.
You can use "render TachyonInternal" to get images when you have no
active OpenGL display. Let me know if you need any help getting that
running. Tachyon outputs Targa files by default..