From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 15:40:26 CDT

Lars,
  Ahh. Well, it's been the version we've put in the last few releases,
but as you say, it would be nice to upgrade for the next release. I intend
to try and do this as well as a number of other related Python improvements
before 1.8.3 gets released. None of the libraries VMD uses are really
"permanent versions", but we often choose to stick with well-tested revs
for two releases in a row since that avoids the possibility of new bugs
creeping in as a result of library upgrades. I haven't upgraded the
Tcl library linked into VMD for a while either, for similar reasons.
They're not permanent though, just "slow moving". :-)

Thanks,