From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 21 2004 - 10:56:29 CDT

Lars,
  For the time being, you must use Python 2.2 with VMD.
I plan to work out a way to distribute the Python library with
VMD for the next release so you don't have to compile it yourself,
but this is not finished yet. In the mean time, you must compile
Python 2.2 and Numeric 22.0 in order to use the Python interfaces
in VMD 1.8.2. They don't have to be installed as the main Python on your
system, but they need to be there for VMD to use.