From: hinsen_at_llb.saclay.cea.fr
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 11:57:34 CDT

On 29.09.2004, at 16:55, John Stone wrote:

> The VMD color scale has 1024 entries, so it should be relatively easy
> to map your colors within that range.

Ahhh... The manual says 49. That makes a lot of a difference.

> True, but a better way to do it is to only add colors which are
> "different
> enough" to justify having their own index, rather than blindly adding
> them

Of course. I could even optimize color assignments, since I know all
requested colors before writing the VMD script. Still, I'd need a few
hundred colors for some applications so I was worried by the limitation
to 49.

How does VMD use the 1024 entries internally? I suppose the first 17
correspond to the 17 named colors. But there must be others that are
used for color scales.

Konrad.