From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 09 2021 - 16:05:16 CST

Hi,
  Yes, I would watch out for international input processing
tools, as they are known to cause problems with a wide range
of Tcl/Tk versions, causing a crash in Tk during startup.
This has been discussed on VMD-L many times under the topic "SCIM" IIRC.

I'd definitely suggest using VMD 1.9.4 rather than VMD 1.9.3 here as
well, since these builds are made with much more current compilers and
runtime libraries. If you still encounter trouble, I could give you a
compilation made w/ Tcl/Tk 8.6.x or later, which addresses the issue
with international input handlers, and I could also disable other
features/libraries that may play a role in the problem you observe.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/