From: Jason Smith (jason_smith_18_at_sfu.ca)
Date: Wed Jul 07 2021 - 11:29:00 CDT

Yiyan,

VMD needs information about bonds such as a connection table or psf file. XYZ only contains coords of nuclei. Other programs will attempt to create bond order information based on distances, but will often get it wrong for a complex system that doesn't have higher-order complexity, like a complex alkane where a proton might belong to either carbon that it is near. I just randomly made a similar compound in MOE and saved it as a tripos mol2 file, and VMD was able to open that with bonds. Perhaps try a mol2 file. Also check that the drawing method you are using displays bonds. Lines for e.g. or licorice.

Cheers,

-
Jason Smith
Post-Doctoral Fellow
Robert N. Young Lab, Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive, Burnaby, BC, V5A-1S6
Canada