From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 02 2021 - 15:40:11 CST

Hi,
  Josh is correct that a very critical issue for getting so-called
"transparent backgrounds" is choosing an image file format that supports
an "alpha channel". To get the desired outcome, both the rendering engine
and the image file format have to fully support alpha channel output.

POV-Ray and the NVIDIA OptiX GPU-based version of Tachyon implement this
feature in the renderer, and both of them support output to PNG files.

At present, the CPU version of Tachyon doesn't yet implement alpha channel
output mode as I just haven't had time to rewrite the affected parts
of the code to add it yet. It was comparatively easy to add to the GPU
version of the code without affecting performance.

Best,
  John

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/