From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 15 2021 - 13:51:56 CST

Hi Manas,

I think FEP in this case would be overkill, and not as straightforward as using the appropriate collective variable. http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Training/Tutorials/science/umbrella/REUS-1D.pdf would be a good start, coupled to a hydrogen bond or distance or dihedral angle colvar that describes the salt bridge. You could also use ABF or other techniques to sample the same reaction coordinate as well, but in this case an alchemical treatment would probably be more painful.

-Josh