From: Vermaas, Josh (vermaasj_at_msu.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 25 2021 - 13:02:19 CST

I've done this before. I think it is your TNGLDFLAGS, which should be
-ltng_io based on what was in plugins/Make-arch for LINUX or LINUXALPHA.
I don't think it is set in LINUXAMD64 by default, but -shared isn't
going to cut it. If my hypothesis is correct, your linkage should fail
with alot of calls to the tng library itself.

-Josh

On 1/25/21 12:46 PM, Dominic Hayward wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently trying to compile VMD from source with the tngplugin.
> Without the tng plugin everything compiles smoothly and runs as it
> should. However, when I include the following environment variables:
>
> # location of libtng_io.so
> TNGLIB="-L/usr/local/lib"
> # location of tng/tng_io.h
> TNGINC="-I/usr/local/include"
> TNGLDFLAGS="-shared"
>
> the plugin fails to compile, with a heap of "undefined reference"
> errors. If anyone could point me in the general direction of where I'm
> going wrong, that would be much appreciated!
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dominic

> Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
> 52425 Juelich
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
> Geschaeftsfuehrung: Prof. Dr.-Ing. Wolfgang Marquardt (Vorsitzender),
> Karsten Beneke (stellv. Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr.-Ing. Harald Bolt

Josh Vermaas
Assistant Professor, MSU-DOE Plant Research Lab and Department of Biochemisty and Molecular Biology
vermaasj_at_msu.edu
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://prl.natsci.msu.edu/people/faculty/josh-vermaas/__;!!DZ3fjg!vsHRcmuLDMavgN-pPOg-mAIHvpSFW7B_QVYjrvHCdFCG8dgzq6ViVewCECkytrnP9A$