From: Chang, Christopher (Christopher.Chang_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2020 - 10:18:07 CST

We've seen similar messages on our Linux cluster when trying to use a CUDA 11 environment exposed via modules against our hardware which is currently deployed with CUDA 10.2.

Not sure how to find information on Windows, but for me on Linux nvidia-smi shows the driver version, nvcc shows the SDK version.

[cchang_at_r105u35 ~]$ ml cuda/11.0.2
[cchang_at_r105u35 ~]$ nvidia-smi
Tue Nov 17 09:12:08 2020
| NVIDIA-SMI 440.33.01 Driver Version: 440.33.01 CUDA Version: 10.2 |
..

[cchang_at_r105u35 ~]$ nvcc --version
nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2020 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Thu_Jun_11_22:26:38_PDT_2020
Cuda compilation tools, release 11.0, V11.0.194
Build cuda_11.0_bu.TC445_37.28540450_0

If your user had tried installing a more recent CUDA SDK version without upgrading the drivers, could see that might create the problem.

Chris