From: Stefan Boresch (stefan_at_mdy.univie.ac.at)
Date: Tue Nov 17 2020 - 03:39:20 CST

Hi,

on the odd chance that someone has an idea:

I am presently running a course in which I use VMD a bit, and students are
expected to install it on their own hardware. This has worked well so
far, on Linux, Mac and Windows, with here in Europe Win10 being the
dominating OS.

Yesterday I got a 'plea for help' from one student saying
that suddently VMD is not starting up anymore on her Win10 laptop, though
it worked before. I got some screenshots; the terminal window comes
up, prints

  "mismatch between CUDA runtime and GPU driver"

and terminates. Restarting the machine, reinstalling VMD (both 1.9.3 and
the new 1.9.4alpha) apparently has not helped. Since this isn't my
hardware and since I don't have access to it because of the lockdown, this
is all the info I have.

I normally run VMD on my Linux workstation, though I also have it on a Win10
laptop, with an NVIDIA card and all updates installed, where both vmd 1.9.3
and 1.9.4alpha run fine.

The one observation I can add from my own experience is that for me (on the
Win10/Nvidia laptop) VMD comes up, but hangs for a while (the main menu
is not operational, up to minutes). Hitting Enter or Ctrl-C in the terminal
window usually helps.

Any hints / suggestions to pass on welome, best regards,

Stefan