From: Josh Vermaas (joshua.vermaas_at_gmail.com)
Date: Sat Sep 05 2020 - 14:29:29 CDT

Hi Pacho,

Those configure files are just old. Current beta versions can compile
against either python 3.7 or python 2.7, so the basic compatibility problem
has been solved as John said. What I do for compiling with python support
has been to update the library locations. For 1.9.3, that meant compiling
against python 2.7, but now the betas do work with python 3 versions.

-Josh