From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Aug 09 2004 - 10:08:36 CDT

Hi Travis,
  The whole idea of the VMD plugin system is that you can write your
own plugin for your own file format and not have to deal with conversions
to other formats like DCD :-) I've attached a very simple trajectory
reader/writer plugin that I wrote that is MUCH MUCH MUCH simpler than
DCD files, but contains most of the same information. You should be
able to replace the guts of this plugin with your own, compile it, and
then load it into VMD with a command like this:
  plugin dlopen /my/new/plugin/directory/mytrajectoryplugin.so
  plugin update

Once this is done, your new plugin will show up in the GUI.
I've attached my example trajectory plugin to this email.
My plugin uses two common plugin header files for I/O and
endianness swapping code, which I've also attached.