From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jun 29 2020 - 06:13:44 CDT

you need to have something to uniquely identify each layer, e.g. a custom
residue id or segment name.
then you can use the "exwithin" selection keyword with a suitable cutoff.
any atom/molecule matched by an "exwithin" selection of two layers each
combined with the "and" keyword will be between those two layers. something
like: (exwithin 6.0 of segname LY1) and (exwithin 6.0 of segname LY2)

axel.