From: Sebastian Reiter (Sebastian.Reiter_at_campus.lmu.de)
Date: Mon May 25 2020 - 06:35:18 CDT

Hi Francesco,

1) The orca_plot program also has an option to plot the full SCF
density, not just individual orbitals.
2) You can first load the density file and then load the potential into
the same molecule (select the ID of the first cube file in the molecule
file browser instead of "New Molecule"). In the end, you should see one
molecule ID with two volumetric data sets in VMD.
3) orca_vpot uses the electron density to compute the potential at
certain points in space. To visualize this potential, you typically plot
the density as an isosurface and map the potential as a color onto that
surface, so you still need a cube file for the density.

In total, the following process has worked for me:

1. Run Orca with the keyword "KeepDens". This generates a file with the
extension .scfp that contains the density.
2. Run the command "orca_plot filename.gbw -i" and in the interactive
menu select the following options to generate a cube file for the density:
        * Enter type of plot -> electron density
        * Select output file format -> Gaussian cube
        * Generate the plot
3. Run the mep.py script (https://gist.github.com/mretegan/5501553) to
generate a volumetric cube file for the electrostatic potential.
4. Load both cube files into vmd, either with the molecule file browser
(see above) or with the -f command line option:
        vmd -f filename.eldens.cube filename_mep.cube
5. Create an Isosurface representation for the density, color by Volume
and select the potential cube file as the data set for the color.
6. Adjust the color range in the Trajectory tab of the Representations
window.

Best
Sebastian