From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 29 2004 - 21:50:46 CDT

Did you try adding an ampersand to the end of the piped command
i.e.:
 set pipe_id [open "| xmgrace -pipe & " w]

When used with Tcl's own exec that allows you to run in the background,
so if you're lucky it'll work for your piped command as well. If not
there's probably still a good way of doing it similarly.