From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 17 2020 - 16:04:27 CDT

Francois-Xavier,
  Thanks for testing! I don't have a laptop here, just a Mac Mini,
so some of these things I haven't been able to check myself yet.

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 10:51:54PM +0200, FX wrote:
[...]
> The app does not open as Retina-enabled for me. I think it's because it's missing:
>
> <key>NSHighResolutionCapable</key>
> <true/>
>
> in the Contents/Info.plist and Contents/Resources/VMD.app/Contents/Info.plist files.

Can you validate whether it works if you edit those in your copy?

> Otherwise it seems fairly functional. There is one major blocking point: None of the plugin windows are functional: they open as all-black (screenshot attached).

Thanks, I got the same report from some others.
I may try a different rev of Tcl/Tk, rather than 8.6.9.
There is an 8.6.9.1 release of Tk, which may have been a bug fix.
I will try that first. I have also built 8.6.10 and may try that next.

> Misc things that could be improved:
> - It is missing a open-babel binary to perform conversions
> - Could you wrap the script into rlwrap? It allows history editing in the console, which is wonderful.

Sure. Once we get past the fundamental issues I would be happy to look at
the rlwrap change and similar improvements.

I'll try to get another update posted over the weekend after I hear
back from more testers.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/