From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 05 2020 - 15:04:07 CST

Hi,
  This isn't really an issue with VMD itself, but rather the X server
and socket tunneling you're using. It seems that there's some sort
of problem with the SSH tunnel you're using to forward your
X server connection, which is why Tk is complaining about being unable
to connect to the display "localhost:10.0".

Your VMD seems to have successfully connected to a GLX X11 server
back-end that identifies itself as "Software Rasterizer", but things
appear to fail after that when Tk begins trying to initialize.

Are you wable to run the "wishx" Tk shell on this arrangement without
encountering that error?

What do you have your DISPLAY environment variable set to prior to
launching VMD?

Best regards,