From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 11 2019 - 08:28:34 CST

Hi,
  Sorry for my slow replies. I'm out of the office all week long due to
being selected for Jury Duty.

The current VMD 1.9.4 RTX test versions should run well on all recent prior
hardware versions (Pascal, Volta, Turing). I suspect that CentOS has a
broken driver distribution as it applies to OptiX, since there are now many
small driver components supporting OptiX that didn't previously exist.

I would suggest trying an NVIDIA-provided driver rather than a CentOS
provided driver on one of the machines in question and see if the problem
goes away.

Regarding OSPRay: No, actually OSPRay only uses the CPU presently.
  I do expect that future versions of OSPRay will exploit Intel Xe GPUs,
  but all existing versions of OSPRay are CPU-only and they are based
  on the lower level Embree framework, ISPC, and a few other libraries.

Best regards,
  John Stone

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/