From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 10 2019 - 08:35:12 CST

Hi Giulia, if it helps I'm running successfully the OptiX-supported VMD on
CentOS 7 on a dozen workstations with different Intel CPU and NVIDIA GPU
configurations. I installed the NVIDIA driver as part of the CUDA bundle,
rather than separately. Admittedly the GPUs are based on Pascal-generation
chips and not the more recent Turing like yours.

To get more help, you may want to paste the output of nvidia-smi on the
CentOS and Ubuntu systems, and also report whether OSPRay works: since it
uses the graphics chip of the Intel CPU and skips the discrete GPU
entirely, that should tell a bit more.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
Research collaborator, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD