From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2019 - 22:16:56 CDT

I'm working on patching FLTK for MacOS X Catalina.
Regarding OpenGL being deprecated on MacOS, we'll have to see what
options become practical here. VMD is only one of thousands of apps
affected by Apple dropping support for OpenGL. It's unclear whether
the cost of rewriting the core VMD renderer for a proprietary API
would be justified. Apple is falling farther and farther behind
state-of-the-art rendering technologies compared to both Linux and Windows,
so I worry that it would be a waste to try and support their proprietary
Metal APIs. I'm more hopeful that some kind of emulation scheme might
become viable.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/