From: Luciano Abriata (luciano.abriata_at_epfl.ch)
Date: Mon May 13 2019 - 12:13:27 CDT

Replying to my own question, with info likely important for developers:

I now got to understand that the problem is in the z direction, which is by some reason multiplied by -1 for the wireframe but not for the rest of the 3D elements, hence resulting in a mismatch between electron density and atom locations.

I solved my problem by exporting obj/mtl separately for molecules and wireframe electron density, and then overlaying them on my application but reversing the z direction of the wireframe.

However, I guess this should be easy to fix in VMD itself.

I can explain more if this wasn't clear.

Luciano