From: Vermaas, Joshua (Joshua.Vermaas_at_nrel.gov)
Date: Tue Apr 16 2019 - 12:17:26 CDT

The SASA calculation in "measure sasa" is pretty straightforward, and doesn't consider periodic boundaries at all. Instead it samples N points (where by default N=500) around each atom in the selection, and asks if they are solvent accessible or not. This fraction multiplied by the surface area of the sphere with radius atom radius + probe radius is where the SASA comes from. So making sure your compound isn't split across a periodic boundary is important, but measure sasa doesn't care about the PBC dimensions otherwise.

-Josh