From: João Ribeiro (jribeiro_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 31 2019 - 09:04:40 CST

Hi Jrhau,

Thank you for reporting the error. The error that you are seeing is related
to the system size and the number of CPU cores+GPU that you selected to run
your simulation. I would guess that the system you are running is not that
big to justify many cores plus a GPU. Reduce the number of CPU cores and
the simulation should run smoothly.

Now, on the performance of the multicore version of VMD, did you run
exactly the same configuration file?

Please allow me to add some notes about the configuration files produced by
QwikMD. QwikMD has a lot of ludic behavior in the selection of the MD
parameters in the config files, namely, high frequency of energy outputs
and trajectory saving frequency (dcd freq), which is useful when you are
starting running simulations but has high penalties in the NAMD
performance. Also, running your simulations with the option "Live view"
mode (Interactive Molecular Dynamics activated) also decreases your
performance substantially, as NAMD-VMD communication occurs every so often.

In summary, if you are trying to squeeze the most ns/day from your machine,
please increase periods of saving frames (dcd freq) and output events
(outputpressure, outputenergies and etc.) and run your simulations in the
background (Live view off == IMDon off).

I hope this helps and I am also copying the NAMD developers on this thread
so they can comment further on the NAMD issues and how to improve NAMD
performance.

Best

Joao

--