From: Axel Kohlmeyer (akohlmey_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2019 - 12:36:22 CST

On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 1:10 PM John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Hey,
> To date, VMD has been compiled with the classic NetCDF 3.x versions
> that have no additional library dependencies. I'm guessing based on
> what you've said below that LAMMPS is using NetCDF 4.x, which as I
> understand it depends on HDF5 now, and it can supposedly use
> HDF5 as a container file format that is totally incompatible with
> the classic NetCDF format.

i am not an netcdf expert, but my understanding is, that the API is
mostly compatible.
for instance i was able to compile the VMD netcdf plugin against the
netcdf 4 headers.
it didn't change anything on reading, as it just looks like the ABI is
still imported from VMD and not from external shared libraries when i
load the custom compiled plugin (on Linux x86_64) and then try to load
a netcdf-4 format file. but i may be misreading things. its been a
(too) long time, since i was able to do some serious VMD hacking.
managing the LAMMPS github repo is consuming a lot of my time.

> I haven't recently re-read the details about
> thet NetCDF 4.x features since AMBER has always used the classic
> NetCDF 3.x format AFAIK. If you can provide me with some sample file(s)
> I should be able to chase this down on my side. Now that I've been asked
> to start supporting HDF5 files for a new VMD plugin, it may become practical
> to update VMD's NetCDF builds to encompass the newer NetCDF4+HDF5 build
> strategy required by the current NetCDF lib.

there is a contributed HDF5 based (non-netCDF) format available in
LAMMPS as well. perhaps there is a connection. if you want to go down
the HDF5 rabbit hole, perhaps, you can get two for the price of one.
;-)
please see:
https://github.com/lammps/lammps/tree/master/src/USER-H5MD
https://github.com/lammps/lammps/tree/master/lib/h5md

LAMMPS has a long list of examples and the information that is stored
in LAMMPS generated trajectory files.
see the (native, text mode trajectory) LAMMPS plugin for some
background. basically, you can have the same kind of information and
then some:
https://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/dump.html
https://lammps.sandia.gov/doc/dump_netcdf.html

we should probably continue this off-list. you give me some idea what
you would like and then i'll set up a cloud folder with some files for
you, best also with the corresponding native LAMMPS trajectories to
compare to. ;-)

axel.