From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2019 - 13:10:53 CST

Hi,
  What you need to do is ensure that the "povray" command is in your
default command search path prior to launching VMD. The method for
doing this depends on your operating system, but if typing "povray" at
the VMD command prompt doesn't launch it, then you'll need to edit your
path environment variables etc until it does. The alternative is to
either do as you're doing presently, or to manually specify the full
path to the "povray" binary in the default rendering command in the
VMD Render menu GUI.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/