From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Nov 07 2018 - 14:30:01 CST

Hi,
  Yes, you can create an empty molecule using "mol new atoms xxx",
and then use atom selection commands to assign all of their properties.
When finished, you can then issue a "mol reanalyze" command so that
VMD will honor all of the new properties and assignments you have made.
This is in fact the low level mechanism used by a few of the structure
preparation tools, including the "toopotools" plugin, for example.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/