From: amin sagar (aamin.sagar_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 29 2018 - 05:27:38 CDT

I think the gro file doesn't store the chain information. There is probably
a way to add that information in the converted pdb file using trjconv.

Another way would be to use index. You can find the atom numbers of the
residues you want to select by opening the gro file in a text editor and
then selecting as, for example

index 1 to 150

Within VMD, if you make a selection in the tk console like

set sel [atomselect top "protein and resid 1 to 50"]

and then get the index by

$sel get index

you should see two discontinuous series of numbers like 10,11,12, ......
100 and 150,151,152.....250.

One of these stretch should be your required selection.

You can then try both using the index, for example,

index 10 to 100

and one of the two should be what you want.

There are probably simpler methods out there.

Amin.