From: Philip Loche (ploche_at_physik.fu-berlin.de)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2018 - 02:32:42 CDT

After finishing the build of openHMD you can test the vive with the simple example binary in the examples/simple folder in the OpenHMD directory. Make sure that all other apps that might use the vive are not running (Steam etc…).

For the vmd build I used the following build options:
OPENGL OPENGLPBUFFER FLTK TK CUDA IMD LIBOPTIX LIBTACHYON OPENHMD TCL PTHREADS

I did this only on my LINUX machine, but I think it should in also work on windows. Afterwards use the TachyonLOptiXInteractive renderer and use your HMD.

Good luck.

> On 1. Aug 2018, at 04:37, John Stone <johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>
> Kelly,
> I would just follow the Windows build instructions in the HIDAPI README:
> https://github.com/signal11/hidapi
>
> Windows builds are always a bit more complex than other platforms due to
> the variety of ABIs, linkage modes, and C/C++ runtime options one may have
> to deal with. On the flip side, you might be able to find a pre-compiled
> HIDAPI for Windows 10 if you dig around some more, and that would let you
> skip all of this and get back to trying to compile OpenHMD.
> You could certainly contact the HIDAPI people and see if there's a pre-built
> version somewhere.
>
> Best,
> John Stone
> vmd_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2018 at 02:00:49AM +0000, McGuire, Kelly wrote:
>> I am using CMake to install OpenHMD, but getting stuck at the HIDAPI
>> installation step. Once I get HIDAPI installed, I think CMake should
>> finish generating
>>
>> OpenHMD files. Any advice on how to get HIDAPI installed on Windows 10?
>>
>> Kelly L. McGuire
>>
>> PhD Scholar
>>
>> Biophysics
>>
>> Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology
>>
>> Brigham Young University
>>
>> LSB 3050
>>
>> Provo, UT 84602

>> If you want to try running the code from the research paper, which is
>> what Philip is referring to, the first step is to get OpenHMD to work.
>> The rest is somewhat more complex, but also doable once you get that far.
>>
>> Best,
>> John
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 08:40:27PM +0000, McGuire, Kelly wrote:
>>> Actually, that would be very helpful if you could give some direction
>> on
>>> setting up VMD for HMDs. Thanks Philip!
>>>
>>> Kelly L. McGuire
>>>
>>> PhD Scholar
>>>
>>> Biophysics
>>>
>>> Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology
>>>
>>> Brigham Young University
>>>
>>> LSB 3050
>>>
>>> Provo, UT 84602

>>> Subject: Re: vmd-l: VR
>>>
>>> Dear all,
>>> I'm currently using the VR code of VMD with the Rift CV1 and the Vive
>> (not
>>> pro) on a machine with two GTX1080 without any problems. I know that
>> the
>>> OpenHMD guys are working on the positional tracking and they already
>> have
>>> some experimental code for the Rift [1]. Currently I am not following
>>> their developer chat but I think there is still an interest to
>> implement
>>> positional tracking.
>>> @Kelly: If you need a hand for building VMD for HMDs you can just
>> write.
>>> Best,
>>> Philip
>>> [1] [1]https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD-RiftPlayground
>>> On 31. Jul 2018, at 21:24, John Stone <[2]johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Great. I would love for others to do this experiment also with
>> other
>>> hardware and OS versions. Since I've already got some OpenHMD code
>> in
>>> VMD
>>> which was used for a research paper a couple of years ago, the
>> effort
>>> required
>>> to update it shouldn't be too onerous if it turns out that its
>> support
>>> for
>>> the Vive/Vive Pro are usable for at least 3 degrees of freedom head
>>> orientation.
>>> Best,
> [...]
>>>
>>> early code for OpenHMD in VMD now, but the last time I used it
>>> OpenHMD
>>>
>>> didn't have support for anything other than the Oculus DK[12].
>>> Checking
>>>
>>> the latest page, it seems that they have some very preliminary
>>> support for
>>>
>>> the HTC Vive now (no position data, no distortion correction):
>>>
>>> [1][4]https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/wiki/Support-List
>>>
>>> If people want to contribute right now, it'd be great if people
>>> could try
>>>
>>> running OpenHMD on whatever hardware they have, using the
>> little
>>> test
>>>
>>> codes it
>>>
>>> comes with, and report back what the results were and what OS
>> and
>>> hardware
>>>
>>> you tried it on. If it turns out that OpenHMD is quasi-usable
>> on
>>> recent
>>>
>>> HMD
>>>
>>> hardware like the Vive and Vive-Pro, then I might be convinced
>> to go
>>> ahead
>>>
>>> and add the necessary updates and new code into VMD rather than
>>> continuing
>>>
>>> to wait for OpenXR to get an initial release.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>
>>> John
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jul 31, 2018 at 12:38:07AM +0000, McGuire, Kelly wrote:
>>>
>>> I just received my Vive Pro VR set. I would be more than
>> happy to
>>>
>>> help or
>>>
>>> test any progress made with VMD and VR systems. I can't
>> really
>>> help
>>>
>>> with
>>>
>>> any of the programming per se, but if there are any updates
>> to VMD
>>>
>>> that
>>>
>>> include interfacing with VR, it would be fun to try it.
>>>
>>> Kelly L. McGuire
>>>
>>> PhD Scholar
>>>
>>> Biophysics
>>>
>>> Department of Physiology and Developmental Biology
>>>
>>> Brigham Young University
>>>
>>> LSB 3050
>>>
>>> Provo, UT 84602
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
>>>
>>> Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
>>>
>>> University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801
>>>
>>> [2][5]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/ Phone:
>> 217-244-3349
>>>
>>> [3][6]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
>>>
>>> References
>>>
>>> Visible links
>>>
>>> 1. [7]https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/wiki/Support-List
>>>
>>> 2. [8]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/
>>>
>>> 3. [9]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/
>>>
>>> --
>>> NIH Center for Macromolecular Modeling and Bioinformatics
>>> Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
>>> University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801

>>> 2. [2]mailto:johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>>> 3. [3]mailto:johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu
>>> 4. [4]https://github.com/OpenHMD/OpenHMD/wiki/Support-List
>>> 5. [5]http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/~johns/