From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Jul 06 2018 - 16:04:51 CDT

Hi,
  The VMD container images on NGC are intended for off-screen
batch/parallel rendering only. They are compiled without any GUI, and
they are really meant for large scale analysis and visualization jobs
on platforms like clouds or supercomputers.

To run VMD in a fully interactive graphical mode, the container image would
ultimately have to have an X11 distribution inside, which would probably
bloat the container size up to a few GB. Thus far I have not personally
seen any containerized interactive graphics apps, likely due
to the size issue I mentioned. In principle it would be relatively easy for
me to compile a fully interactive VMD for a container, it is just a matter
of the inclusion of the full X11 stack that I consider to be a concern here.

If you know of a good example of a containerized interactive graphics app,
I would be happy to have a look at their docker rules and see what they're
doing and compare with what would be required for VMD.

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/