From: Peter Freddolino (petefred_at_umich.edu)
Date: Thu May 24 2018 - 21:57:32 CDT

Dear David,
Molefacture is necessarily sort of a beast because of the amount of
overhead needed to allow vmd molecules to undergo arbitrary edits. Also, it
is heavily dependent on hooks associated with the gui, such that when I've
had to hack something together to use its internals from the command line,
I have often regretted it.

I think molefacture is probably overkill for your purpose. One key
question: what is the downstream application that you're going to use this
for? If it is for most any md simulation, you should just make use of
whatever topology generation utilities match your md package, and do the
hydrogen addition that way. If for some other purpose, I suspect that you'd
be better off just using text manipulation (e.g., cat) to add the hydrogen
atom to each file, and then a tcl script in vmd to position it (using the
vector commands to find a suitable position, and $sel move to move it). You
could get some good ideas on the needed geometry calculation
from ::Molefacture::calc_tetrahedral_geo

Best,
Peter