From: Jérôme Hénin (jerome.henin_at_ibpc.fr)
Date: Fri May 25 2018 - 07:43:40 CDT

Hi Kelly,

as in Umbrella Sampling, the setup process you are describing is entirely
independent from the free energy calculation itself. In ABF that is not
necessary in principle: if you define a broad range for ABF to sample, as
in your example, a single ABF simulation will eventually sample this range
by continuous diffusion. However, this can be made faster by creating a
small number of windows - it could be just cutting your range in half,
which means setting up one second copy of your system at a different
position.

Some ABF users have applied steered MD for preparing a series of starting
points, but that comes with the usual caveat: watch out for non-equilibrium
effects that the system might remember through the ABF simulations.

Jerome