From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Mon Jun 21 2004 - 14:17:38 CDT

Emmanuel,
  There isn't any simple way to load the beta field of PDBs into
VMD as a time-varying field. The best suggestion I have for this
would be to write a VMD script to load each of the PDB files sequentially,
concatenating their beta fields to a single text file. Once finished, you'll
have a text file containing all of the beta values for all of the frames.
>From there, you could read the PDB files as a trajectory, and then load
the saved beta values into the "User" per-frame data field. The major
complication with your need is that your original data is in the form of
a multi-frame concatenated PDB which makes it difficult to retrieve the
beta field from individual frames. You may have to split them into
separate files with a perl script or something in order to get this done.
Sorry I don't have any better suggestion at this time. Clearly there's
a need to make VMD start storing more data fields as time-varying data
by default, but it'll have to come in a future version.