From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue May 15 2018 - 14:53:22 CDT

Hi,
  There are two different VMD plugins that load Delphi output.
One is for "unformatted" binary Grasp/Delphi output (grdplugin),
which follows this structure:
 * "unformatted" binary potential map, as used by Grasp and DelPhi
 *
 * Format (fortran):
 * character*20 uplbl
 * character*10 nxtlbl,character*60 toplbl
 * real*4 phi(n,n,n)
 * character*16 botlbl
 * real*4 scale,oldmid(3)
 *
 * Where n is the length in grid units of each edge of the grid.

The other VMD plugin reads "formatted ASCII potential maps.

Did you try using the correct VMD plugin to read your file?

Best,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/