From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2018 - 07:33:02 CDT

They are both well-established scientific codes.

PyMOL's original developer (tip: look his bio up) felt that there wasn't a
good open-source 3D software for structural biology and drug discovery.
Whether he thought that the VMD license was too restrictive or that it had
different technical requirements, for sure the two codes have a good chunk
of overlap but different focus. Note that VMD originally stands for
"Visual Molecular Dynamics". If you do information-based modeling more
often than physics-based you may find PyMOL extremely useful.

Most people don't have an opinion on one software vs. the other: if either
one wasn't useful, it wouldn't make the short list in the first place :-)
The list should actually be a little longer than that.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin
http://goo.gl/Q3TBQU