From: Giacomo Fiorin (giacomo.fiorin_at_gmail.com)
Date: Wed Apr 18 2018 - 09:57:57 CDT

Hi Sandip, the "open" command gives a file descriptor to an open file, so
that you can write to it with "puts" or related commands.

Instead, the "writepdb" command of the atom selection takes a file *name*:

*writeXXX filename*: write the selected atoms to a file of type XXX; e.g.,
pdb, dcd. *New in VMD 1.8*: writepdb requires a filename; omitting the
filename no longer returns the PDB data as a string. To get the PDB data as
a string, first write to a file, then enter the following commands: set fd
[open *filename* r]; set s [read $fd]; close $fd. The text will be
contained in the variable s.

The part about using the file descriptor is for getting the contents of the
PDB file as a string.

Perhaps that note can be removed from now on: VMD 1.8 is very old, and if
somebody wants the string content, they can definitely write those commands
on their own.

Giacomo

--
Giacomo Fiorin