From: Fotis Baltoumas (fbaltoumas_at_biol.uoa.gr)
Date: Tue Mar 27 2018 - 04:11:36 CDT

Hello all,

Just throwing my two cents in the conversation.

I have also successfully installed and used DruGUI on my VMD (Linux
64-bit debian based).  However, I did not use the developer's procedure,
but rather edited my .vmdrc file and added the following lines:

lappend auto_path /home/user/vmd_extensions/drugui/
vmd_install_extension drugui drugui_tk "Modeling/DruGUI"

The message "drugui cannot be loaded" still shows up in the console
window when VMD starts, but the plugin appears normally in the
Extensions menu ("Modeling/DruGUI") and is fully operational. So, if the
developer's instructions don't pan out, you can try it and see what happens.

If you're using Windows, the file is called "vmd.rc". On Linux, it is
called .vmdrc, which means it's "hidden" so use "ls -a" to see it.  Note
that you needn't edit the master vmdrc file of the VMD installation; if
you edit the local copy that is created in your home directory you will
have the same effect.

I did all this because, as you can probably guess, I prefer having my
non-default VMD plugins in a separate, "safer" location (i.e. not
requiring sudo/root privileges).  The procedure, with some tweaks, can
generally be applied to most third-party extensions with no problems;
this way you get to try stuff without actually messing with the VMD
installation.

Hope this helps,

Fotis Baltoumas

On 03/27/2018 10:03 AM, Pratik Narain Srivastava wrote:
> What OS are you trying to install DruGUI on? I have successfully
> installed it using the developer's procedure on ubuntu 16.04. Please
> provide details.

Fotis A. Baltoumas
Bioinformatics Postgraduate Programme
Section of Cell Biology and Biophysics
Department of Biology, National & Kapodistrian University of Athens
Panepistimiopolis, Athens 157 01, GREECE
email : fbaltoumas_at_biol.uoa.gr
http://biophysics.biol.uoa.gr
http://bioinformatics.biol.uoa.gr