From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2018 - 14:29:20 CDT

Hi,
  While I didn't do it yet, this is on my short list of things
going into VMD 1.9.4, because zlib is a dependency for libpng,
and I would like to enable (and thus have to redistribute) libpng
with VMD, at least on linux perhaps on all platforms, by default.
I'm currently swamped so I wasn't planning to work on this for a
couple of weeks, but if you can wait a bit longer, I hope to have
this resolved in the near future, and I will definitely have
a look at the LAMMPS plugin when I'm adding libz to the build/redistrib
directories.

Best,