From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 13 2018 - 09:36:16 CDT

Hi,
  The major detraction of the particular GPU model you list is
that it uses DDR3 RAM rather than GDDR5 RAM. The peak memory
bandwidth of the card with DDR3 is 16GB/sec. With GDDR5 the same
GPU gets 40GB/sec bandwidth. If you're running CUDA-enabled versions
of VMD on this machine, then things like the "QuickSurf" representation
and GPU ray tracing will run almost 3x faster on the GDDR5 version of
that GPU than on the DDR3 version. I understand that there's an
economic trade-off here, so you'll have to use your best judgement about
what will give you the best the value (for what you plan to use it for)
for your money.

Best regards,

http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/