From: Ryan McGreevy (ryanmcgreevy_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Fri Feb 09 2018 - 09:27:03 CST

First, check the output from the NAMD runs that are giving you the
connection error (if NAMD crashes before you can connect with VMD, it will
just look like a connection error). This will be in the autoimd.log file
(found by default in ~/autoimd). If NAMD is running fine and waiting for
the connection, check that you do not have multiple NAMD processes running
at the same time. If an IMD session is not killed correctly, NAMD may
continue to run and you can end up with many NAMD processes running at the
same time, which can cause problems, especially if they are looking at the
same port.