From: John Stone (
Date: Wed Dec 20 2017 - 09:08:23 CST

Most likely when you're running in your queueing system, it has no
input terminal. If you're running in such a scenario, you may instead
want to redirect your input to read from your script, and add the flag
-eofexit, e.g. like this:
   vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < file.tcl

More examples are here:

On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 10:55:17PM -0700, Stephen Thomas wrote:
> Hi,
> I am unable to run a tcl from vmd using the -e option. However, this works
> fine if I just run the command directly from bash. Here is a minimal
> example to reproduce the problem.
> Steps to reproduce:
> 1) run
> 2) notice that the output does not contain the text "Running tcl script"
> as seen in run.tcl
> Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?
> Thanks,
> Stephen Thomas.

University of Illinois, 405 N. Mathews Ave, Urbana, IL 61801           Phone: 217-244-3349