From: John Stone (johns_at_ks.uiuc.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2017 - 09:08:23 CST

Most likely when you're running in your queueing system, it has no
input terminal. If you're running in such a scenario, you may instead
want to redirect your input to read from your script, and add the flag
-eofexit, e.g. like this:
   vmd -dispdev text -eofexit < file.tcl

See:
  http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/vmd-1.9.3/ug/node246.html