From: Ashar Malik (asharjm_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2017 - 18:56:57 CST

> Is it possible for VMD to calculate the alignment for the entire molecule
> while RMSD is only calculated for the backbone.

Yes.

I think if a problem exist it has to come from the way you are aligning
things.
A quick check of this would be to load trajectory A into VMD and without
aligning do

set sel [atomselect top all frame 0]
$sel writepdb trajA_0.pdb

Close VMD

Open VMD and load trajectory B and write its frame 0

set sel [atomselect top all frame 0]
$sel writepdb trajB_0.pdb

So now you can compare your reference configuration to trajA_0.pdb and
trajB_0.pdb
or even just comparing the two frames trajA_0.pdb and trajB_0.pdb with one
another should return 0.

If the 0 frames are what you say they are - this should return the same
numbers or 0 depending on what you end up comparing.
I don't know how VMD visualizer tool works as I do all of my calculations
with code.
So doing the above will ascertain if your starting frames are identical or
not.

--
Best,
/A