From: Ashar Malik (asharjm_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri Dec 15 2017 - 06:58:29 CST

Ok.

So this means that the reference is a separate configuration *"r" * which
means we can say the following:

Trajectory - A(RMSD): {0-r, 1A-r, 2A-r, 3A-r, ... }
Trajectory - B(RMSD): {0-r, 1B-r, 2B-r, 3B-r, ... }

And you are saying that 0-r in trajectory A is not the same as 0-r in
trajectory B.

This brings me to the alignment point that I briefly touched earlier.
How do you align your trajectories. Are trajectory A and trajectory B
aligned to their respective frame *"0" *or do you align each trajectory to
an average structure in it or do you align them to this "reference external
structure" you use to compute the RMSD?

reference structure to frame 0 should return the same RMSD value if frame 0
has not moved. If you align each of the separate trajectories to an average
frame within it, then frame 0 would have moved in space and you should not
get the same number between two trajectories.

Also may I ask, what is the RMSD for

your reference configuration and frame 0 of one trajectory
your reference configuration and frame 0 of the other trajectory

--
Best,
/A